June 06, 2008
blackquery - Blackberry Query via email
Well, while riding the bus the other week and looking for an address it took me about 20 minutes to find it on my browser. I thought it would be faster to send an email, have the email execute a google search, and email the response. Especially on a Blackberry, could be faster. Couldn't find a service that offers that, so I wrote this one in, Perl of course.
If you use it, you need:
1. A Pop account that accepts the emails
2. A SMTP account for sending emails
3. You should have a Yahoo API key, though I used a demo one.
4. You have to install the required Perl modules.
This script can run anywhere, not only a server, and recovers from errors and has a log file.
A few things I learned:
2. Google Gmail is way faster than Yahoo mail due to IMAP. In a odd situation, if you use this script using a Yahoo SMTP server, the YahooSMTP -> Gmail arives faster that YahooSMTP-> Yahoo email address.
4. Google has a txt message version of this that is better, if you have txt, is 466453, but it is only for addresses.
Enjoy... you need to set it up yourself, because I have this running on my laptop instead of server, so if you send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, no telling if this script will be running and you could get a delayed response.